Measles Continues to Dramatically Increase in Hudson Valley
Confirmed cases of measles continue to rise in the Hudson Valley at alarming rates.
Since October there have been 209 confirmed cases of measles in New York State. 145 cases come from Orange and Rockland counties with 64 cases found in Brooklyn, CNN reports
On Wednesday, health officials from Rockland County confirmed 130 cases of measles.
The outbreak, which started around October, is considered the worst measles outbreak New York has seen in decades.
Since the outbreak, over 14,000 New York children have been vaccinated while over 6,000 unvaccinated children have been kept out of school for over two months, health officials tell CNN.
In October, it was reported an international traveler with measles visited multiple locations in Rockland and Westchester counties. Among the locations infected with measles was the Costco in Nanuet and Westchester Medical Center.
The Rockland County measles outbreak spread into Orange County in November. Health officials in Orange County later warned that a taxi was exposed to measles.
Around Thanksgiving, shoppers at the Palisades Mall were potentially exposed to measles.
Measles is a highly contagious respiratory disease caused by a virus that is spread by direct contact with nasal or throat secretions of infected people. People first develop a fever, then often a cough, runny nose and watery eyes, followed by an appearance of a rash. People are considered infectious four days before to four days after the appearance of the rash.
Symptoms include a fever, rash, cough, conjunctivitis or a runny nose. Symptoms usually appear 10-12 days after exposure but may appear as early as 7 days and as late as 21 days after exposure.
- Hudson Valley Schools Placed on Lockdown After Threatening video
- Beautiful Hudson Valley Private Island Home Now For Sale
- Young Man Killed While Skiing in Hudson Valley
- Hudson Valley Woman Accused of Trying to Build Pond in Yard
- Hudson Valley Rallies Behind Teen Fighting For His Life
- Winter Weather Advisory Issued For Parts of Hudson Valley
- NYSP: Firefighter, Police Part Of Huge Hudson Valley Drug Ring
- Award-Winning Restaurant Plans Major Expansion in Hudson Valley
- Gunman On the Run After 2 Shot Near Hudson Valley School
- Politician Accused of 'Psychologically Abusing' Pregnant Wife
- Hudson Valley Father of 4 Killed in Alaska, Family Could Use Help
- Woman Dies After Falling Into Freezing Hudson River
- Child Nearly Kidnapped Walking Dog in Hudson Valley, Police Say
- Tire-Gashing Devices Found on Streets in Hudson Valley