Hudson Valley Teen Loses Feet, Hand From Flu
A Hudson Valley teen lost his feet, hand and more due to complications from the flu.
Willy McCue, 19, is in the intensive care unit at Montefiore Hospital due to secondary complications from the flu.
Recently, in a Facebook post, the New City Fire Engine Co. No. 1 provided an update on McCue’s condition because his family feels, “it is time to let people know just how hard a battle Will is continuing to fight.”
McCue was first diagnosed with the flu. But as he got sicker the flu brought on pneumonia, which caused issues with sepsis throughout his body.
As his condition worsened, doctors were forced to take action to save Will’s life, the fire department wrote.
The New City Fire Department probationary firefighter had several surgeries resulting in the amputation of one hand at the wrist, his fingers, below the knuckle on his other hand, and both feet.
The Clarkstown North High School graduate is also suffering from severe tissue damage to one leg and organ issues, according to the New City Fire Department.
A GoFundMe page was set up to help McCue’s family with the extensive medical costs. As of this writing, nearly $71,000 has been donated.
The good news, according to the fire department, Will is improving. He’s awake and aware of what’s happening, is no longer on continual dialysis and was removed from a ventilator.
The fire department plans to hold several fundraisers in the future, including one in April. Details haven’t been announced.
- Baby, Mother Killed Crossing Route 52 in Fishkill
- Hudson Valley Teen Loses Feet, Hand From Flu
- Police: Hudson Valley Man Assaults Ex, Masturbates Near Child
- Police Seek Help After A Number of Daytime Home Burglaries
- Hudson Valley Man Jailed For Over 20 Years For Nearly Killing Man
- Thousands Call for Stricter Gun Laws in Hudson Valley
- How Much Do You Need to Earn To Live in the Hudson Valley?
- 4 Charged After Man Brutally Murdered in Hudson Valley
- Hudson Valley Man Who Supplied 14 Drug Dealers Sentenced
Here are this week's Top 5 news stories from the Hudson Valley