A judge ruled there is no criminal case against a Hudson Valley father, a war veteran, accused of leaving his 1-year-old twins in a hot car, where they died.

On Thursday, the Bronx District Attorney decided to not put the case against 39-year-old Juan Rodriguez of Rockland County before a grand jury, pending a further investigation. A spokesperson for the D.A. told NBC the case is still active but put on hold.

Last Friday, the New City father dropped his 4-year-old son off at a Westchester day-care but told police he forgot to drop off his 1-year-old twins, leaving Luna and Phoenix Rodrigues in their rear-facing car seats.

Rodrguez then drove to work at a hospital in the Bronx, leaving his twins inside his hot car for about eight hours. As he was leaving his job, before getting to his car, he called his wife asking her to pick up the kids from day-care, People reports.

The Iraq war veteran drove from work for about two blocks, before seeing his twins car seats still in his car. Typically, he'd dropped the 1-year-olds off still in their car seats, a source told People.

Rodriguez then found Luna and Phoenix Rodriguez unconscious and foaming from the mouth in the back of the car Friday around 4 p.m. Rodriguez immediately called 911 but the babies were pronounced dead at the scene.

"I blanked out, my babies are dead, I killed my babies," Rodriguez told investigators, according to NBC.

Rodriguez was charged last weekend with two counts each of manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide

According to a GoFundme setup for Rodrigues and his family, the tragedy is due to "Forgotten Baby Syndrome," where parents accidentally forget about a child and leave them in their vehicle while performing daily tasks and routines.

As of this writing, over $97,000 as been raised for the family.

"My client is heartbroken," Rodriguez's attorney Joey Jackson said according to ABC. "He certainly understands the gravity of what occurred. His family understands the gravity of what occurred. They are strong, they are resilient, and they will get through this very difficult and trying time."

Rodriguez was released on bail. Luna and Phoniex will be laid to rest this weekend.

More From Hudson Valley Post