7 Killed, 15 Injured in Hudson Valley During Labor Day Weekend
Labor Day weekend in the Hudson Valley proved to be a very tragic long weekend with seven people losing their lives and many others injured.
On Friday around 5 a.m., Sean Burlingame, 7, was found unconscious inside a home that was on fire on Relyea Terrace in Wappinger. Burlingame died from his injuries. The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
On Saturday, Eliezer De la Cruz, 21, of Yonkers was fatally shot while driving on Interstate 40 in Tennesse. Police say De la Cruz was being chased by two cars on the highway before he was shot. It's unclear why he was being chased.
Also on Saturday, five were injured when a car drove the wrong way on the Route 17 Exit 121 East exit ramp and crashed into another car head-on.
Late Saturday, 22-year-old Sayra Lemus of Fallsburg was tried to avoid an unknown car that entered his lane on Route 17 in the town of Mamakating. Lemus lost control of his car, exited the shoulder and rolled over. A passenger, Omar Espinoza, 23, of Fallsburg, was pronounced deceased at the scene. Lemus and three other passengers were transported to Mid Hudson Medical Center and Orange Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries.
On Monday around 9:15 a.m., John B. Nuzzolo, 39, of Newburgh was helping take down a big tree 40-feet above the ground in Cornwall. While cutting down the tree, it's believed he accidentally hit a live high power line and was fatally electrocuted.
Less than an hour later, the body of 31-year-old Scott Charlot of Bogota was found in Lake Skannatati in Harriman State Park. Officials say he was swimming in an area where swimming is prohibited.
A few hours later, 5-year-old Charkeilys Viera was thrown from the truck that was involved in car accident on Route 17 near Monticello. Charkeilys was thrown from the truck and later pronounced dead. Her dad, the driver, and sister were critically injured. Four passengers in the other car were treated at a nearby hospital.
Late Monday, 14-year-old Oscar Gonzalez of Southeast drowned at Tonnetta Lake Beach in the Town of Southeast. Witnesses told police Gonzalez was paddleboarding with friends when their paddleboard turned over and Oscar disappeared under the water.
- 7 Killed, 15 Injured in Hudson Valley During Labor Day Weekend
- Child Killed in Hudson Valley Crash, 6 Injured, 2 Critically
- Hudson Valley Teen Drowns While Paddleboarding On Labor Day
- Famous Actor Donates to Hudson Valley Father Injured At Work
- Man Drowns Illegally Swimming in Hudson Valley
- Hudson Valley Tree-Trimmer Killed At Work
- Hudson Valley Man Murdered While Vacationing in Nashville
- Many Helping Hudson Valley Family Who Lost Child in Fire
- Many Injured After Exit Ramp Wrong-Way Crash in Hudson Valley
- Police: Hudson Valley Teen Threatened To Shoot School
- 2 Arrested After Truck Drives Into Hudson Valley Home