Hudson Valley Teen Drowns While Paddleboarding On Labor Day
Just days before he was going to start high school, a Hudson Valley teen drowned.
On Monday around 9 p.m., the Putnam County Sheriff's Office responded to a 911 call for a drowning at Tonnetta Lake Beach in the Town of Southeast.
First responders noticed a group of people at the end of the dock and an adult man in the water.
The adult told police he was nearby when he heard cries for help. He dove into the water to attempt to find a teen but wasn't able to find him.
Witnesses told police, 14-year-old Oscar Gonzalez of Southeast was paddleboarding with three friends when the paddleboard they were on, turned over and Oscar disappeared under the water.
Just before 10 p.m., members of the Mahopac Falls Fire Department Dive Team recovered Gonzalez who was transported to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Gonzalez was about to start classes at Brewster High School, police say.
- 7 Killed, 15 Injured in Hudson Valley During Labor Day Weekend
- Child Killed in Hudson Valley Crash, 6 Injured, 2 Critically
- Hudson Valley Teen Drowns While Paddleboarding On Labor Day
- Famous Actor Donates to Hudson Valley Father Injured At Work
- Man Drowns Illegally Swimming in Hudson Valley
- Hudson Valley Tree-Trimmer Killed At Work
- Hudson Valley Man Murdered While Vacationing in Nashville
- Many Helping Hudson Valley Family Who Lost Child in Fire
- Many Injured After Exit Ramp Wrong-Way Crash in Hudson Valley
- Police: Hudson Valley Teen Threatened To Shoot School
- 2 Arrested After Truck Drives Into Hudson Valley Home