Teen Arrested For Alleged Fake Hostage Situation in Hudson Valley
A teen is facing 73 criminal charges for allegedly making up hostage situations across the U.S. and in the Hudson Valley.
In August 2018, the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office received a report of a hostage situation at a home on Ressique Road in the Town of Kent.
The caller said he shot his wife with an AR-15 and was now holding his son hostage, police say.
Members of the Sheriff’s Department were able to get in contact with the homeowner who stated he was out of state with his family and advised that the house should be unoccupied. A neighbor was able to provide a key to the home.
Members of the Sheriff’s Department and the ERT team proceeded down the driveway and set up a perimeter around the house.
Police soon entered the home and learned the home was empty and there was no hostage or other emergency situation, officials say.
The matter was turned over to the Sheriff’s Office Bureau of Criminal Investigation for further investigation. Investigators learned about the phone which was used to make the “fake” emergency call and realized there were similar incidents in other jurisdictions around the United States.
Investigators from the local area, along with other law enforcement agencies from around the country, were able to identify the caller and determine the calls originated in Ohio, police say.
Recently, a 17-year-old Ohio resident was charged with 40 felonies and 33 misdemeanors relating to fake emergencies across the country, police say.
- Gigantic Indoor Waterpark Ready to Open in Hudson Valley
- Cuomo Set to Become Highest Paid Governor in United States
- Teen Arrested For Alleged Fake Hostage Situation in Hudson Valley
- 3 Men Accused of Running Grandparent Scam in Hudson Valley
- Hudson Valley Woman Arrest For Arson Following Apartment Fire
- Is a 'Midweek Nor'easter' Going to Impact the Hudson Valley?
- Hudson Valley Police Officer Dies Unexpectedly
- Hudson Valley Woman, 2 Dogs Killed in Fire
- Helicopter With 6 Aboard Crashes in Hudson Valley
- Fatal Tractor-Trailer Accident Closes I-87 For Hours
- Hudson Valley Man Sentenced For Nearly $1 Million Scheme