Hudson Valley Football Star Gets NFL Tryout
A Hudson Valley high school football star has been invited to compete for a roster spot on an NFL team.
Mikal Myers, 22, of Newburgh accepted an invitation to join the Baltimore Ravens mini-camp. Myers, a defensive tackle, played college football at UConn. He finished his collegiate career with 112 total tackles, three sacks and 12.5 tackles for loss. In 2016, Myers recorded career-highs in tackles, 51, forced fumbles, 2, and tackles for loss 2.5.
In high school at Newburgh Free Academy, Myers played on both the offensive and defensive line. The New York Sportswriters Association named him to the first-team of the Class AA offensive line his senior year. He earned second-team honors his junior year. Myers was also placed on the second-team defensive line his senior season.
During his senior season at NFA, his 91 tackles, 14 for a loss, and 10 sacks helped the Goldbacks win their first Section 9 championship since 2003 and reach the New York State championship game.
- 15 Year-Old Girl Killed Crossing Route 17
- Police: Hudson Valley Man Failed To Register As Sex Offender For 5 Years
- 10-Year-Old Hudson Valley Boy Overdoses on Marijuana
- 12 Arrested Following Prostitution Sting In Orange County
- Hudson Valley Man Caught Placing ShopRite Items Down ‘Pants,’ Police Say
- Distinguished Ulster County K-9 Retires
- Police: Hudson Valley Woman Steals From Handicap Home
35 were arrested for selling heroin, sex offenders moving to local motels and a deadly tick are in this week's Top 5 Hudson Valley news stories.