Hudson Valley Teen Murdered in College Dorm
A college freshman who went to high school in the Hudson Valley was murdered in his college's dorm.
On Sunday, 19-year-old Joao Souza was fatally stabbed in Windham Hall at SUNY Binghamton.
Souza, a freshman at the college, graduated from Blind Brook High School in Westchester last year, reports ABC. He was a star soccer player in Westchester County.
“The entire campus mourns for him,” SUNY Binghamton President Harvey G. Stenger said in a letter. “Our sympathies go out to his friends and family, as well as to his classmates and peers.”
Police believe the murder wasn’t a random act and that the engineering student was targeted.
Shortly after the murder, police released two photos of the suspect. The suspect was described as a light-skinned man wearing dark pants and a dark, Puma hooded sweatshirt over his head, gloves on his hands and white cloth covering his mouth.
Late Monday, 20-year-old Michael M. Roque was identified as the suspect. The Binghamton University student was found and arrested for murder. Roque pleaded not guilty.
- Hudson Valley Teen Murdered in College Dorm
- First Responders Save Hudson Valley Family's Dog's Life
- Dutchess County Man Killed in Route 9D Crash
- Former NYPD, Living in Hudson Valley Accused of Disability Fraud
- Victims in Triple Murder-Suicide to be Laid to Rest in Hudson Valley
- Hudson Valley Man Gets Voice Back After Losing it From ALS
- High-Risk Sex Offender Moves Near Hudson Valley Elementary School
- Did You Know That Barbara Bush Grew Up in the Hudson Valley?
Here are this week's Top 5 news stories from the Hudson Valley