Potentially Deadly West Nile Outbreak Hits Hudson Valley
A potentially deadly outbreak of the West Nile virus was discovered all over the Hudson Valley.
Over the last week, 14 people in New York State were infected with the virus, according to the New York State Department of Health's weekly report.
Of those 14, one person is from Dutchess County while another lives in Ulster County. This year, human cases of the West Nile virus was reported in Orange, Ulster, Rockland and Westchester counties.
In addition, mosquitoes found in Orange, Rockland and Westchester counties tested positive for the West Nile virus, officials say. It's also believed that someone donated blood in Ulster County without knowing they were infected with the virus.
In 2018, 38 people were diagnosed with the virus, while 1,422 mosquitoes tested positive.
The New York State Department of Health works with local health departments to track mosquitos and releases a weekly surveillance report.
Since 2000, nearly 500 people were infected with West Nile virus, which resulted in 37 deaths, according to the New York State Department of Health.
A bite from an infected mosquito can spread West Nile Virus, an infection that can cause serious illness, and even death.
One in five infected people develops a fever and other symptoms. One out of 150 infected people develops a serious, sometimes fatal illness, according to the CDC.
West Nile can cause serious complications, including neurological diseases. It can also cause a milder flu-like illness. Symptoms typically include a fever, headache, body aches, nausea and sometimes a skin rash and swollen lymph glands.
Those 50 and older are at the highest risk of developing a serious illness, officials say.
Not everyone infected with West Nile Virus will become ill.
- Mom: Man Attempted to Lure Hudson Valley Children at Bus Stop
- Potentially Deadly West Nile Outbreak Hits Hudson Valley
- Have You Seen Any of These 7 Missing Hudson Valley Children?
- Acclaimed Show Starring A-Lister's Filmed in Hudson Valley
- Police Investigate Murder of Hudson Valley Kid's Hospital Aide
- National Guard Member Murdered by Ex, Hudson Valley Cop Shot
- Beloved Hudson Valley Wolf Dies
- Hudson Valley Police Investigate Reports of Naked Men Near School
- Flights From Hudson Valley to Europe Drastically Reduced