Popular Hudson Valley Restaurant Continues Fight to Stay Open
A Hudson Valley restaurant is continuing its fight to stay open after owners said local officials are trying to make them shut down for good.
Cafe Con Leche recently opened up on Main Street in Wappinger. The family-owned and operated cafe and restaurant specializes in authentic Puerto Rican cuisine. The building at 10 Main Street was built in 1852 and has been home to a number of establishments, including Jade Cafe.
In July, owners said residents complained to the Town Of Poughkeepsie Zoning Department about the increase in traffic in the area.
In a Facebook post, the owners claimed despite previous tenants operating as a cafe they can't legally operate as a cafe and must turn the eatery into a deli or grocery or be shut down.
Prior to Cafe Con Leche, the building was home to Lina's Deli and Catering but was vacant for some time before the Puerto Rican eatery moved their business from a small snack bar on the platform of the New Hamburg train station to Main Street.
The business stayed open while waiting for a zoning board of appeals hearing, which was scheduled for Monday night.
"We will be going before the Zoning Board Of Appeals to ask for an interpretation as well as ask them to allow us to continue operating under the current special use permit being that multiple tenants have operated a cafe in the space before. We also ask that you continue to write, call and email in support of the cafe to the Town of Poughkeepsie Zoning Administrator," Cafe Con Leche wrote on Facebook.
Owners say over 100 supporters attended the hearing Monday night, which brought some good news. The meeting was adjourned until October 21, according to Cafe Con Leche. Which means, at least for now, the business can remain open.
"First and foremost a HUGE thank you to all of you who prayed, showed up in support, wrote letters and/or called and texted," Cafe Con Leche said. "We will be OPEN until the next meeting. Please continue to keep us, our family and the families of our employees in your prayers."
- Hudson Valley School Bus Driver Dies After Crash With 22 Students
- Police: Hudson Valley Woman Killed By Pet Dogs Inside Home
- Popular Hudson Valley Restaurant Continues Fight to Stay Open
- Man Sentenced For Hit-And-Run That Killed Hudson Valley Mother
- Hudson Valley Health Aide Worker Stole From Elderly Woman: Police
- Dog Left for Dead on 9W, Help Needed in Finding Suspect
- Child Shot in Neck in Lower Hudson Valley, Gunmen on the Loose
- Billy Crystal Spotted Dining at Popular Hudson Valley Restaurant
- Bear Caught Fishing in the Hudson Valley