Man Fatally Shot by Police While Walking on I-84 in Hudson Valley
More information has been released after a man was fatally shot by police while walking on I-84 in the Hudson Valley.
On Thursday just before 2 a.m., New York State Police responded to a report of a disabled vehicle on I-84 in the town of Montgomery near exit 5A.
Arriving police found a disabled vehicle in the middle of the highway. Then another call was placed to police about a man walking along the westbound shoulder of I-84, near exit 5.
The responding troopers left the disabled car to search for the man. After they found him, one officer exited the trooper car and talked with the man as another officer continuing driving the police car next to the officer and man, police say.
During the conversation, the man wasn't cooperative with troopers and refused to comply with commands multiple times, according to New York State Police.
A trooper shot the man when he allegedly tried to get into the moving police car.
“They encounter an individual, and one member, one trooper, exited the trooper car and engaged the individual in conversation and determine why he was there. The other trooper remained in the vehicle and drove alongside him,” Maj. Pierce V. Gallagher said. “A preliminary investigation revealed that the subject was not cooperating with troopers and refused to comply with any commands and multiple times ignored the troopers and made furtive movements.”
The man was taken Orange Regional Medical Center where he died from his injuries, police say.
Police have yet to release details about the man. CBS reports the man is a 41-year-old New York resident who doesn't live in Orange County. The man wasn't armed, according to CBS.
Late Friday, police identified the man as Luke H. Patterson, 41, of Tannersville.
State Police ask that anyone who may have information about Patterson or the events leading up to this incident to call SP Middletown at 845-344-5300.
- Hudson Valley McDonald's Responds to Alleged Expensive Scam
- Multiple Bears Spotted in Hudson Valley Backyard
- Hudson Valley Teacher Accused of Stealing Money From Charity
- NYSCOPBA: 6 Hudson Valley Officers Injured When 40 Inmates Attack
- Hudson Valley Motorcyclist Dies After Hitting NY Corrections Van
- 16 Reasons Why Newburgh Isn't the Worst City in New York State
- Beloved Puppy Dies After Going to Lower Hudson Valley PetSmart
- Hudson Valley Man Dies in Lawnmower Crash, Brother Very Hurt
- Large Reward Offered After Video of Cat Murder Circulates
- Hudson Valley Rallies Behind Mother of 7 Killed in Crash
- Woman Shot Near Hudson Valley Church