Dutchess County Woman Accused of Welfare Fraud
A Dutchess County woman is accused of stealing over $5,000 in welfare fraud.
On Tuesday, 39-year-old Rudaina F. Murshed of Poughkeepsie was charged with welfare fraud, a felony.
An investigation by the Dutchess County Sheriff’s Office Detective Division, in conjunction with the Special Investigations Unit of the Dutchess County Community and Family Services Department, revealed that Murshed received approximately $5,315 in SNAP benefits during a fourteen month period, police say.
Murshed is accused of stealing the benefits by hiding the fact that she had other outside income, something that would have made her ineligible to receive welfare benefits.
Murshed was arraigned at the City of Poughkeepsie Court, and was released on her own recognizance to reappear on 6/13/17.
- Deadliest ‘Superbug’ Spreading Across New York, Hudson Valley
- Search Continues for Missing Elderly Hudson Valley Man
- Hudson Valley Nurse Sexually Abused 6 Patients
- Head-On Crash Kills 1, Injuries 2
- 7 Men Abused by Priests with Hudson Valley Connections
- Police: Hudson Valley Man Masturbated In Car, Asked Women If They ‘Approved’
The Hudson Valley restaurants with the most health code violations and a number of sentencings for some horrific crimes are in included this week's Top 5 local news stories