2 From Hudson Valley Stopped Likely School Shooting
A pair of Hudson Valley heroes who helped stop a potential school massacre will be honored.
Dutchess County Sheriff’s deputy and Arlington school resource officer Evan Traudt, as well as Arlington High School student Angela McDevitt, were selected to receive awards from the State of New York Police Juvenile Officers Association
Deputy Traudt will be the first-ever recipient of the John F. Cataldi Jr School Resource Officer of the Year award and McDevitt will receive the Youth of the Year award.
Both are scheduled to formally receive the awards during the annual SNYPJOA conference banquet in Binghamton NY on August 30.
Both were selected for their roles in stopping a potential school shooting.
In February, McDevitt told authorities that a boy she knew living in Vermont may be planning a school shooting there.
The information was told to McDevitt's school resource officer, Traudt, who then closely worked with Vermont authorities who determined the school shooting threat was credible.
Thanks to their help, 18-year-old Jack Sawyer of Poultney, V.T. was arrested.
"Had it not been for the actions of Deputy Traudt and Miss McDevitt the situation in Vermont may have ended with very different results, but instead tragedy was avoided and both have been credited with saving numerous lives," Dutchess County Sheriff Butch Anderson said in a press release.
Traudt was also selected for his award based on a number of criteria including his overall professionalism and dedication to his role as a school resource officer, according to the Dutchess County Sheriff's Office.
- Rabid Bats Are Entering Hudson Valley Homes at Alarming Rates
- Head-On Crash Kills 1 Near Hudson Valley Little League Field
- Bear Found in Hudson Valley Home's Fenced-in Yard
- 2 Shot in Hudson Valley After Booty Call Goes Wrong
- Hudson Valley College Helps Triplets Discover They Were Separated At Birth
- Post Malone's Plane Makes Emergency Landing in Hudson Valley
- Hudson Valley Teacher Recovering From Vicious Shark Attack
- Over 1.4 Million Gallons of Waste Spills into Hudson Valley Water
- Hudson Valley Pizzeria Giving out Free Pizza This Week