Special Investigation Leads to 2 Heroin Busts in Ulster County
Two special investigations in Ulster County led to two arrests for heroin possession.
On Monday, the Kingston Police Department’s Special Investigations Unit conducted a surveillance operation on Broadway near Delaware Avenue. The operation led to the arrest of 24-year-old Shelby R. Newkirk of Kingston for heroin and weapon possession.
Newkirk was charged with third and fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon, criminal possession of a controlled substance and possession of a hypodermic needle.
Also on Monday, Kingston police conducted a similar investigation into heroin sales in the City of Kingston, leading to arrest of 32-year-old David H. Smith of Bloomington.
Smith was found to be in possession of a large amount of heroin and needles, police say. He was charged with third and seventh-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance and criminally possessing a hypodermic instrument.
Both were remanded to Ulster County Jail in lieu of $10,000 cash bail $20,000 bond.
- Deadliest ‘Superbug’ Spreading Across New York, Hudson Valley
- Search Continues for Missing Elderly Hudson Valley Man
- Hudson Valley Nurse Sexually Abused 6 Patients
- Head-On Crash Kills 1, Injuries 2
- 7 Men Abused by Priests with Hudson Valley Connections
- Police: Hudson Valley Man Masturbated In Car, Asked Women If They ‘Approved’
The Hudson Valley restaurants with the most health code violations and a number of sentencings for some horrific crimes are in included this week's Top 5 local news stories