Orange County Man Sentenced For Stalking, Choking, Pouring Oil on Ex
An Orange County man is heading to prison for stalking, choking, pouring oil over his ex-girlfriend’s head and more.
On Thursday in Orange County Court, 27-year-old Garfield Bentley of Newburgh was sentenced to nine years in prison for attacking and burglarizing his ex-girlfriend’s home.
In June, a jury trial found Bentley guilty of burglary, eight-counts of criminal contempt, criminal obstruction of breathing or blood circulation, stalking and falsely reporting an incident.
During the trial, prosecutors argued on October 15, 2016, Bentley was seen peeking through the apartment window of his former girlfriend, which was in violation of an order of protection.
Earlier that day, Bentley was following the victim, another violation of the order of protection.
Around 11 p.m. that night, Bentley found the woman outside of her apartment, grabbed her hair and throat and poured what appeared to be motor oil over her head.
When the victim retreated into her building, Bentley forced his way into the building to continue his attack.
Members of her family were able to push Bentley out of the apartment building.
Bentley also falsely told police, under a fake name, that his former girlfriend chased children with a machete.
The Orange County District Attorney’s Office recommended a 15 year prison sentence.
“A defendant who repeatedly subjects a former intimate partner to violence in violation of multiple court issued orders of protection is highly dangerous and deserving of the most severe state prison sentence authorized under the law,” District Attorney David Hoovler said.
- Dutchess County Pizzeria Owner Charged With Murder At Hudson Valley Hunting Club
- Hudson Valley Man Admits to Driving Drunk, High During Fatal Crash
- Hudson Valley Man Charged With Manslaughter in Beating Death of Man by Train Tracks
- Did Army Football Kneel in Protest During the National Anthem?
- New York Man Among Those Killed In Las Vegas Shooting
- Community in Shock After Hudson Valley Woman Allegedly Kills Father of Children
- ‘Sexually Violent’ Sex Offender Moves Near Hudson Valley High School
Here are this week's Top 5 news stories from the Hudson Valley