Hudson Valley Resident Selected in Major League Soccer Draft
The all-time leading scorer for a Hudson Valley high school’s soccer program saw his dream become a reality when he was drafted into the pros.
With the 32-overall pick in the 2018 Major League Soccer Superdraft, the Columbus Crew SC selected Millbrook’s Eddie Opoku.
The 21-year-old forward was born in Ghana and came to to the Hudson Valley at age 15 through the Right to Dream Academy, a program that allows talented African soccer players to attend boarding school in the United States.
Opoku attended high school at the Millbrook School where he set the boy’s soccer program record for career goals, 85, and points, 115.
During his time playing high school soccer in the Hudson Valley, he was rated as the 34th best prospect in the nation in 2015 by College Soccer News. After high school, he played soccer at the University of Virginia.
- Potentially Dangerous Animal Terrorizes Hudson Valley Town
- Fire Destroys Hudson Valley Bowling Alley
- Same-Sex Couple Weds at West Point
- $4,000 Found and Returned Outside Hudson Valley Restaurant
- Police: Drunk Man Drove in Hudson Valley With Loaded Deadly Rifle
- Driver Walks Away From Horrific Accident on Palisades Parkway
- The Price is Right is Coming Back to the Hudson Valley
- Hudson Valley Resident Selected in Major League Soccer Draft
Here are this week's Top 5 news stories from the Hudson Valley