Hudson Valley Man Killed Man Near Popular Sushi Eatery
A Hudson Valley man is heading to prison for killing a 25-year-old near a popular sushi restaurant.
On Thursday in Orange County Court, Samuel Del Cid Hernandez, 31, of Monroe was sentenced in 24 years in prison in connection with the October 2018 stabbing death of a man in a hallway outside of Hernandez’s apartment.
In October 2018, Village of Monroe Police Department responded to 20 Lake Street for a report of a deceased man with multiple stab wounds. The victim was later identified as Louis Rivera, 25, from Monroe. Following an investigation, Hernandez was charged with second-degree murder.
Prosecutors argued in October 2018, Hernandez and several other people, including the deceased, were drinking at Hernandez’s apartment. At some point during the evening, words were exchanged between Hernandez and Rivera and a physical altercation occurred between Rivera and unnamed partygoer.
Rivera then left the apartment and went into the hallway outside. Hernandez took a knife from his kitchen, followed Rivera into the hallway, where he stabbed the victim multiple times, killing him.
Hernandez is alleged to have later discarded the knife. On April 2, Hernandez pleaded guilty to manslaughter.
“The community will be safer during the over two decades that this defendant will be in state prison,” Orange County District Attorney David Hoovler said. “Weapons and alcohol are never a good combination. While no sentence can compensate for the loss of a loved one, I hope that this sentence will bring some measure of closure to the victim’s family.”
- Multiple Bears Released To Roam Free in the Hudson Valley
- These 37 Hudson Valley School Districts Pay Teachers The Most
- Hudson Valley 7th-Grader Wins MasterChef Junior
- Popular Hudson Valley Deli & Pizzeria Finally Reopens
- Jeopardy! Champion Offered Job in Hudson Valley
- Investigation Ongoing in Hudson Valley Father Son Murder-Suicide
- Was Weed Laced With Fentanyl Sold in the Hudson Valley?
- Every Exit on I-84 in Hudson Valley To Get New Exit Number
- 2 Students Killed, 1 Hurt in Hudson Valley