Hudson Valley Family of Drowned Teen Hopes For Help
The family of a Hudson Valley teen who lost his life in a local creek is hoping you can help them give him a proper burial.
On Tuesday, 17-year-old Christopher Pelaez drowned in the Rondout Creek. He was submerged in the water for about 45 minutes.
Pelaez was a student at Wallkill High School. Counseling was made available for students and staff Wednesday and Thursday.
"It is with deep sadness and regret that I must inform the Wallkill Community of the death of a high school student, Christopher Pelaez, who tragically passed away yesterday," Wallkill Superintendent Kevin Castle said in a letter to the Wallkill community.
Christopher's sister started a GoFundMe so his family can give him a proper burial.
"With a heavy heart and with no words I ask you all to please help me give Christopher a proper burial, Urania Pelaez wrote on the GoFundMe. "My brother was the sweetest nicest person which he left so soon!"
Visitation for Pelaez will be held Thursday at the Church of the Good Shepherd in Newburgh from 7 to 10 p.m. Funeral services are scheduled from Friday at 11:30 a.m. at the Church of the Good Shephred with a burial to follow at Cedar Hill Cemetary in Newburgh. The family requests those attending services wear white.
The cause of his drowning death is under investigation.
- Hudson Valley Teen Drowns in Creek
- Police Warn After 'Predicate Sex Offender' Moves to Ulster County
- Hudson Valley Family Loses Everything in Fire, Help Needed
- 7-Story Building Collapses in Poughkeepsie, People Likely Trapped
- How To Avoid Deadly Brain-Eating Parasite
- Man Shot and Killed by Police in Hudson Valley
- Police: Hudson Valley Man Fondled Self at Kohl's in Front of Kids
- Police: Hudson Valley Man Pinched Child's Buttocks at Marshall's
- Hudson Valley Firefighters Deliver Baby Girl
- Weed May Soon Be Legal in New York State
- Hudson Valley Girl Is Fastest Girl in U.S. History