Former NYPD, Living In Hudson Valley Cleared of Disability Fraud
Disability fraud charges made against a former NYPD detective living in the Hudson Valley were dismissed.
In April 2018, Kenneth Rubero of White Plains was charged with social security disability fraud by the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York.
The Social Security Administration alleged Rubero received $396,000 in disability benefits while earning approximately $720,000 running a check cashing and money services business in the Bronx.
"The charges against Mr. Rubero were the result of a deeply flawed investigation by Social Security investigators who didn’t understand their own regulations," Rubero's lead attorney Timothy Parlatore said in a press release."This was a unique situation where the facts were not even in dispute, because the investigation demonstrated that he had an ownership interest in the business and occasionally stopped by to check on his investment but was unable to perform any work because of his disability.”
Rubero's arrest was released along with two unrelated people to maximize press coverage and make it look like he was part of a larger fraud ring, according to the Parlatore Law Group.
The case against Rubero fell apart after it was revealed Social Security investigators made several key errors, the Parlatore Law Group said in a press release.
"I am grateful to put this terrible chapter behind me and I am thankful to have attorneys who believed in my innocence and knew how to fight to prove it," Rubero said.
- Hudson Valley Will be Colder Than Antarctica, Alaska Today
- ICE: 118 Arrested in New York For Violating U.S. Immigration Laws
- Snow Causes Woman To Drive Into Hudson Valley Business (Photos)
- Former NYPD, Living In Hudson Valley Cleared of Disability Fraud
- Sex Offender Moves Near Hudson Valley Elementary School
- Deadly Polar Vortex is Making its Way to New York
- Hudson Valley School Bus Driver Admits to Sexually Abusing Child
- MGM Set To Open Huge Casino in Hudson Valley
- Hudson Valley Man Killed in Drive-by Shooting, 4 Arrested
- Two Raped and Sexual Assaulted Teen in Hudson Valley
- Road Collapses in Hudson Valley