A fire inside a Town of Wawarsing home killed a woman. Police believe a cigarette is to blame.

On January 3rd Detectives from the Ulster County Sheriff’s office were called to a home on Abromowitz Road by concerned family members of Patrizia Renucci.

Officals say upon their arrival they were unable to make contact with anyone inside. The windows of the home had a black coating on the inside which caused first responders to force their way into the residence. The inside of the home showed signs of smoke and fire damage.

Renucci, 52, was found dead inside the residence. An autopsy from Kingston Hospital ruled the cause of death as asphyxia due to smoke inhalation. The death was ruled accidental.

A preliminary investigation by the Ulster County Fire Investigation Unit and the Ulster County Sheriff’s Office suggests that the fire was started by a lit cigarette. Officials say all of the smoke detectors within the house appeared to have been disabled.

The Ulster County Sheriff’s Office wants to remind everyone to follow the recommendations of the New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control.

More From Hudson Valley Post