Hudson Valley Teacher’s Aide Raped, Sexually Abused Boy
A Hudson Valley teacher’s aide raped and sexually abused an underage boy.
On Monday, 46-year-old Mary Thompson of Montgomery was convicted after a bench trial on two counts of rape, two counts of criminal sexual act and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child.
During the trial, prosecutors claimed Thompson had sex with a boy younger than 17 on two occasions in February of 2017.
“The court’s verdict that this defendant twice engaged in sexual intercourse with a child of less than seventeen was clearly supported by evidence,” Orange County District Attorney David Hoovler said. “This defendant took advantage of a teenager, and knowingly acted in a manner that she knew would be injurious to his mental and moral welfare. It is disturbing that someone who committed these crimes was a teacher’s aide at the time.”
At the time, Thompson was employed as a teacher’s aide, but her dealings with the child are not related to her job, officials say.
Thompson was remanded to the Orange County Jail without bail. She faces up to 14 years in prison when sentenced in March.
- DA: 4 Die From Opioid Overdoses in Hudson Valley This Weekend
- Hudson Valley Man Accused of Raping 2 Women Sentenced
- Police: Dutchess County Man Sexually Touched Child, More Victims Possible
- Police Investigate Fatal Shooting Near Hudson Valley Park
- Couple Accused of Identity Theft at Galleria Jewelry Store
Here are this week's Top 5 news stories from the Hudson Valley