Hudson Valley Cable Company Announces Local News Partnership
Verizon Fios announced a new partnership to provide local news.
On Wednesday, Verizon announced a partnership with Altice USA. Starting in November, Fios customers will be able to watch Altice News properties, including hyperlocal news from News 12 Networks and content from i24NEWS and Cheddar in 2020.
Fios customers will gain access to the News 12 Networks, which are among the highest customer requested hyperlocal news brands in the New York tri-state area, according to Verizon.
News 12 will be available on Channel 535HD in the lower Hudson Valley, Long Island and New Jersey. Early next year, additional markets will launch in Brooklyn, the Bronx, Connecticut and the Hudson Valley.
"We’re all about choice for our customers, and these channel additions bring our customers even more options for robust news and hyperlocal offerings on the Fios channel lineup," Head of Content Strategy for Verizon Erin McPherson said.
Last month, Verizon Fios announced it was shutting down local news channel in the Hudson Valley in November. Verizon decided not to renew the contract with RNN out of Rye Brook, which will lead to 150 employees being laid off.
The merger comes as a surprise to many because Altice, formerly Cablevision/Optimum, marketed News 12 as a key reason to not switch to Verizon. Details on how the merger came about aren't known at this time.
- Cabin Built For Mars Can Be Found in the Hudson Valley
- Popular Restaurant Returns to Hudson Valley, Is Hiring
- Law Could Ban Drivers From Driving in Left Lane Without Passing
- Blood-Sucking Leech With 3 Jaws, Nearly 60 Teeth Found in NY
- Retired Cop Now Makes Award-Winning Cheesecakes in Hudson Valley
- Afghanistan Veteran Dies at 'Watery Eden' in the Hudson Valley
- Officer Shot During 7-Hour Standoff With Barricaded Man
- Plane Lands, Starts Sinking Into Hudson Valley Lake
- Damaging Tornado Touches Down in New York On Labor Day
- 22 Accused of Welfare Fraud in Hudson Valley