Hudson Valley TV News Channel Being Shutdown, 150 Jobs Lost
Around 150 are being laid off after plans were announced to shut down a local TV news channel.
Verizon Fios is shutting down its local news channel in the Hudson Valley in November. Verizon decided not to renew the contract with RNN out of Rye Brook, which will lead to 150 employees being laid off. Fios 1 also provides local news for New Jersey and Long Island.
"Later this year, Verizon will no longer be offering FiOS1 News, Verizon spokesman Tony McNary said, according to Newsday. "We have partnered with RNN for over 10 years to deliver award-winning hyperlocal news coverage on FiOS1. We know how important hyperlocal news is to our FiOS customers and will be sharing more options soon. We wish RNN and their employees well during this transition."
RNN, which has produced local news for Fios1 for the past 10 years, told employees the contract with Verizon was not being renewed on Saturday.
“An informed public is imperative in our democracy, and Verizon Fios’ decision is another devastating blow in a time when local news outlets have seen dramatic cutbacks," Dutchess County Executive Marc Molinaro said. "For more than 10 years, Verizon has partnered with RNN News to deliver local news. The decision to discontinue this relationship will leave a big void in news coverage and is harmful to the region. It is deeply disappointing Verizon has decided not to renew this contract. I greatly appreciate the work RNN News employees have done over the years covering our region.”
Late Monday, Verizon said there are plans to replace FiOS1 News with a new local television news channel in the near future, Newsday reports.
"We understand this content is important to our customers and plan to continue to offer hyperlocal news, traffic, weather, high school sports and other fan-favorite local content," McNary said. "Those plans will be announced shortly."
McNary wouldn't give more details but said the new channel will provide news from the Hudson Valley, Long Island and New Jersey.
- 2 Dead After Being Electrocuted in Hudson Valley
- Popular Hudson Valley Restaurant Reopens After Devastating Fire
- Father of Seven Drowns Trying To Save Children in Hudson Valley
- Hudson Valley TV News Channel Being Shutdown, 150 Jobs Lost
- Is Resorts World Catskill Filing For Bankruptcy?
- Hudson Valley Politician Heads To Border For Fact-Finding Mission
- 2 Dead, Many Injured After Plane Crashes Into Hudson Valley Home
- Hudson Valley Helping Local Family After Plane Crashes Into Home
- Beloved Hudson Valley Deli Closes After Nearly 40 Years, Honored