1 Seriously Injured In Crash That Closed I-87 in Hudson Valley
The New York State Thruway was closed in the Hudson Valley for over 12 hours due to this gruesome looking crash that seriously injured one person.
On Monday just before 4 p.m., New York State Police from the Newburgh barracks investigated a serious personal injury commercial vehicle crash on Interstate 87 South near mile marker 63.3 in the town of Newburgh.
A tandem tractor-trailer, hauling recycled aluminum cans, began slowing down due to an active construction zone which also contained an unrelated motor vehicle crash, police say.
A second tractor-trailer, traveling at a high rate of speed, rear-ended the first tractor-trailer resulting in the rear tandem trailer from the first tractor-trailer to lift and come to a stop on top of both the tractor and trailer of vehicle two, according to state police.
The operator of vehicle one, 55-year-old Charles L. Irish of Greenwich, was treated on scene and released.
The operator of vehicle two, 44-year-old Daniel Brodeur of Quebec, was entrapped within the tractor cab and extricated by Cronomer Valley Fire Department.
Brodeur was then airlifted to Westchester Medical Center with serious injuries, police say.
Interstate 87 was closed for about 12 hours near the Newburgh exit due to the crash, recovery of both compromised trailer loads and cleanup of diesel fuel.
Drivers traveling south on the Thruway between 4 p.m. Monday and 4:30 a.m. Tuesday were forced to exit and the Thruway in New Paltz take 9W South to Route 32 West to I-84 to rejoin the Thruway south.
- 'Very Contagious Virus' Shuts Down Hudson Valley Diner
- 94 Hudson Valley Businesses Refused to Sell Alcohol to Minors
- Hudson Valley Marshmallow Company Open For Business
- Hudson Valley Measles Outbreak Spreads to Newark Airport
- Update: Teacher Found Dead in Hudson Valley
- Hudson Valley Man Admits to Second Fatal Drunk Driving Accident
- High-Risk Sex Offender Found Hiding in Hudson Valley, Police Say
- Hudson Valley City One of the Most Dangerous in America