25 ‘Safest’ Hometowns in New York State
New Yorkers worry about crime and safety more than any other state. So where are the safest cities in New York to live?
SafeWise reached out to Hudson Valley Post to share it's its 8th annual "50 Safest Cities in New York for 2022” report.
"New Yorkers worry more about their safety and crime than residents of any other state —despite crime rates that are lower than national averages. But in what New York cities can residents be assured that they are safe?" Andrew Hull told Hudson Valley Post in an email.
To determine the safest places to live in the Empire State SafeWise looked at the latest violent and property crime data from the FBI as well as the total population for each place.
"We use FBI crime statistics data to rank cities in each state and across the country. To add extra insight and depth to that assessment, we include demographic information and the results of our proprietary State of Safety research study," Safwise states. "The "safest" cities rankings are intended to highlight cities with low crime rates and ignite conversation and action around how to make all cities and communities safer."
- 80% of people in New York said gun violence was a top safety concern--this was the highest in the nation, which averaged 53%
- New York is one of just 11 states that saw a rise in property crimes year over year
11 of the safest cities in New York reported 0 violent crimes.
- 49 cities in New York saw fewer than 1 violent crime per 1,000 residents
- Among all 50 states, New York had the eighteenth-highest violent crime rate
- New York had the ninth-lowest property crime rate.
Safest City in New York
The safest city in all of New York State can be found in the Hudson Valley. This hometown was named by Safewise as the safest city in New York for the 5th straight year.
In fact, four of New York's 5 safest hometowns are found in the Hudson Valley.
Where are they located? Check out the list below:
CLICK HERE for the full list from SafeWise.