15 Things More Likely to Happen Than Winning Powerball
The estimated jackpot of Wednesday's Powerball lottery drawing is now $1.5 billion. The odds of winning --- only 1 in 292.2 million! Turns out you're more likely to become President or die from a vending machine than win!
But hey with a lump sum of about $930 million it’s hard for any of us in the Hudson Valley to not test our luck! It’s also fun to look other random things that are more likely to happen than winning the Powerball jackpot.
According to the Associated Press:
• Elected President of the United States (1 in 10 million)
• Being killed by a vending machine (1 in 112 million)
• Struck by lightning, while drowning (1 in 183 million)
• Have an IQ of 190 or greater (1 in 107 million)
• Attacked by a shark (1 in 11.5 million)
• Being drafted by an NBA team (1 in 6.8 million)
• Becoming a movie star (1 in 1.5 million)
• Killed by an asteroid strike (1 in 700,000)
• Getting struck by lightning (1 in 164,968)
• Dating a supermodel (1 in 88,000)
Amram Shaprio who wrote “The Book of Odds” gives us some more scenarios that are more likely to happen than winning the lottery.
• Pogo-stick accident that leads to a hospital visit ( 1 in 175,667)
• Death by falling off the Grand Canyon (1 in 1.586 million)
• Being murdered while viewing the Grand Canyon (1 in 8.2 million)
• Have quintuplets (1 in 92,720)
• Being dealt a Royal Flush (1 in 649,740)
With all these crazy scenarios more likely to happen than winning the lotto, what's the point in playing? Well as they say, "Hey you never know!"