Woodbury Transit Hub Now Open 5 Years Early, 600 Jobs Created
The 150-million-dollar Woodbury Transit Hub which was said to create 600 jobs in Orange County is now open, five years ahead of schedule.
On Thursday, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced the completion of the $150 million design-build project at the Woodbury Road, Transit and Economic Development Hub in Orange County five years ahead of schedule.
"This world-class transportation hub will provide much needed relief to Hudson Valley residents who have long endured traffic headaches caused by the interchange at Woodbury Common, and it will promote the continued growth of the region's economy," Cuomo said. "Completed five years ahead of schedule, this project is another example of how New York State leads the way when it comes to creating a 21st Century transportation infrastructure that moves our economy forward and improves quality of life for our residents and visitors."
The Hub provides improved access to businesses and shopping destinations at Woodbury Common Premium Outlets, new park-and-ride capacity and enhanced pedestrian and public transit facilities. The project also enhanced safety, mobility and traffic patterns at the interchange adjacent to the Woodbury Common Premium Outlets, while also strengthening the local economy and boosting the region's booming tourism business, according to the governor's office.
"This significant investment in Woodbury delivers a new and improved transportation network to boost tourism in the Hudson Valley," said Lieutenant Governor Kathy Hochul. "The project was completed on budget and ahead of schedule to reduce traffic congestion in the area and improve public safety around Woodbury Common Premium Outlets in time for this year's holiday shopping. With new access roads, bridges, overpasses, and cashless tolling, this transformation will drive economic development and attract more businesses, jobs, and visitors in the Hudson Valley region."
The new $150 million Road, Transit and Economic Development Hub also includes:
- Diverging Diamond Interchange: Route 17 at Route 32 (Exit 131) was reconfigured into a Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI), which will simplify navigation for motorists and reduce crashes in the corridor.
- New Route 32 Bridge Over Route 17: New twin bridges on Route 32 over Route 17 were constructed at the same elevation to minimize the impact on the traveling public.
- Nininger Road Extension:
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety Access Corridor: The project provided 4,000 feet of new concrete sidewalks.
- Woodbury Common Premium Outlets Access: This project constructed a new south entrance/exit to and from Woodbury Common Premium Outlets.
- Monroe-Woodbury School District Roadway: A new Monroe-Woodbury High School Drive Extension was constructed expressly for school bus traffic, connecting the high school with the elementary school.
- Route 32 Park and Ride and Bus Shelter: A new, 200 space park and ride lot was constructed with a parking management system capable of monitoring and displaying the number of available parking spaces.
- Cashless Tolling at the Thruway's Harriman Toll Barrier: In addition to cashless tolling, the Thruway Authority also led a project to install more than 2,000 solar panels at the Exit 16 Right of Way.
- Maher Lane Park and Ride
- New 385-Square-Foot Shelter
- Solar Energy Generating Facility
- Route 32 and Route 17 Corridor Improvements
Gov. Cuomo previously said the project will create around 600 local jobs.
- Ex-Newburgh Teacher Now Missing Under 'Suspicious Circumstances'
- Local Family Leads Charge to Put Autism Symbol on NYS Licenses
- Beloved Hudson Valley Weatherman Gives Heartfelt Goodbye
- Fentanyl-Laced Cocaine Kills 1, Others Overdose in Kingston
- Poughkeepsie Teen Nearly Dies From Flu
- Deadly Face-Sucking 'Kissing Bug' Moves Closer to New York
- Hudson Valley Teacher Wins Again on Jeopardy!, Advances to Semis
- Search Continues For Former Newburgh Teacher
- Peace Officer Accused of Bludgeoning Death of New Windsor Woman
- Alec Baldwin Sues Lower Hudson Valley Man Over Parking Spot Rage