Prepare For Traffic Nightmare on NYS Thruway This Weekend
A traffic nightmare is likely this weekend on the New York State Thruway in the Hudson Valley.
Weather permitting, the Tappan Zee Bridge, which connects Rockland and Westchester counties, will be demolished with explosives on Saturday around 9:30 a.m.
It will take less than 30 seconds for the 6,5000 ton 672-foot east span to reach the Hudson River.
The planned demolition will lead to closures on the I-87 in Rockland and Westchester counties.
New York State Police will stop traffic in both directions on the New York State Thruway between exits 11 (Nyack – South Nyack – US Route 9W) and 9 (Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow – Route 9) starting at 9 a.m. on Saturday. The Governor Mario M. Cuomo bridge will also be closed during the operation.
Once the demolition is complete, Tappan Zee Constructors will inspect the roadway before the Thruway Authority reopens the highway to traffic.
The closure is expected to last 45 minutes, officials say. Drivers are strongly encouraged to find alternative routes on Saturday between 9 a.m. and 10 a.m.
If the weather is bad on Saturday the demolition will be rescheduled for Sunday, with closures occurring at the same time, between 9 a.m. and 10 a.m.
If you want to witness the demolition, a few Hudson Valley businesses are hosting watch parties with food and drink specials while offering views of the Tappan Zee Bridge demolition.
- Hudson Valley All-Inclusive Resort Among Best in the Nation
- Hudson Valley Featured In Upcoming Movie Featuring Many Stars
- Prepare For Traffic Nightmare on NYS Thruway This Weekend
- Popular Hudson Valley Restaurant Now Offering Free Food
- Married Hudson Valley Couple Found Dead Inside Home
- Credit Card Skimmers Found at 2 Hudson Valley Gas Stations
- Chance of Snow For Hudson Valley on Multiple Days This Week
- Gigantic Indoor Waterpark Coming To Hudson Valley
- Tappan Zee Bridge To Be Blown Up
- Highest Paid Teachers in Hudson Valley