New York Schools Could Add 6 New Holidays To Calendar
A new bill is being considered that would add 6 new calendars to the academic year for New York schools.
According to CBS New York, there is a new bill in Albany that would add 6 new holidays to school calendars in New York. They would be religious holidays added to the calendar. State Sen. Kevin Thomas, D-Garden City is sponsoring the bill.
If passed, districts would have the ability to close on six additional religious holidays: two Islamic, two Hindu, one Sikh, and one Christian. The bill would only allow closure when 7.5% of the student population is of that faith. If the bill is passed, no holidays that are currently on the academic calendar for closure would be eliminated if the student population is under 7.5%.
Do you support closing school for additional holidays? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below or on our Facebook.
Listen to Afternoons With Taylor weekdays from 2PM to 7PM through your Now 97.7 app. Connect with Now 97.7 on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Where in the Hudson Valley Should 'A Quiet Place 2' Be Filmed?
- What Is A 'Garbage Plate' And Why Doesn't The Hudson Valley Have Them?
- Hudson Valley Schools Dominate As Best in New York
- The 10 Dumbest Laws in NY
- Ulster County Chocolatier Makes The World's Best Chocolate