Are You Ready For the Biggest Grilling Holiday?
The July 4th holiday is upon us and, as it finally feels like summer, more people will be grilling over the next week than at any other time of the year. While most of the grilling will be done on a gas grill, now's the time to ask if your grill is safe and ready to use.
The New York Propane Gas Association has a few reminders for all of us to have a happy and safe Fourth of July holiday at the grill.
- Keep the lid open when lighting your grill. Don't close it until you are sure the grill is lit.
- Make sure your grill is in a well-ventilated outdoor area, at least ten feet away from the house—and at least three feet away from trees and shrubs.
- Don’t cover the bottom of the grill with foil - it can restrict air circulation.
- Always use and store propane cylinders outdoors in an upright position and when you are transporting the cylinder, keep your vehicle ventilated and the valve closed or capped. Don’t leave the cylinder in your vehicle.
- In addition, make the area around your grill a no-play zone, that means no kids and no animals to help avoid a potentially tragic accident.
- Never use matches or lighters to check for leaks
- Don't use starter fluid with propane grills, and keep all flammable materials away from the grill.
- When you're done grilling for the day, clean your grill well so that there’s no build-up of grease or oil that could catch fire the next time you ready to grill.
Here's to a fun and safe July Fourth. Happy safe grilling!