Hudson Valley Teen Dies From Rare, Brain-Eating Parasite
A Hudson Valley teenager is dead due to a very rare brain eating infection.
It’s believed 19-year-old Kerry Stoutenburgh of Kingston contracted the deadly brain parasite, Naeglerias, while vacation in Maryland this summer. She died Wednesday
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Naegleria fowleri, or “brain-eating amoeba,” can cause a rare and fatal infection in the brain. It is commonly found warm freshwater like likes rivers and hot springs. The amoeba typically enters through the nose and travels to the brain, causing the fatal infection.
The Kingston High School graduate was attending CUNY Brooklyn College. She was majoring in film and minoring in history, with the dream of becoming a film director.
According to her GoFundMe page she’s the first person in New York or Maryland to die from the extremely rare parasite.
Kerry's family says she was a girl scout and a big fan of classic rock. She played a number of instruments in high school.
You can donate to support the Stoutenburgh family on their GoFundMe page.