WEIRD: New York State Ranks Fifth For This Rather Odd Distinction
New Yorkers pride themselves in being the best in the nation. So when someone says "New York state is fifth in the U.S. for ____", you may think of something great; like best restaurants, most wealth, or best natural scenery.
Or, perhaps, it's something more dubious, such as; crime, taxes, or traffic?
However, this ranking is bit stranger. According to the Travel Channel, New York comes in at fifth in the nation for...Bigfoot sightings. Only Washington, California, Pennsylvania and Michigan rank ahead of the Empire State for Sasquatch activity according to these findings.
A few people (or, maybe more than a few), will find this information ridiculous. However, there are some believers. In fact, Whitehall, New York is known as the "Bigfoot Capitol of the East Coast" according to the Travel Channel. The Washington County town of over 4,000 even hosts a fall event known as the Sasquatch Calling Contest and Festival.
Listen to Middays With Hopkins on weekdays from 10AM to 2PM on 101.5 WPDH through your WPDH mobile app. Connect with WPDH on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Idiot Crashes Car Attempting to 'Drift' on Route 44 in New Paltz
- We Tour 21 Abandoned Businesses on Route 9
- Hudson Valley Waitress Brought to Tears Over Surprise Tip
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America
- Top 6 Hudson Valley Restaurants Featured on Food Network
- Enormous Fish Live in Hidden Cave Under City of Poughkeepsie