Man Who Crashed Into Rite-Aid was Intoxicated, Police Say
On Monday, November 11, 2019, at approximately 11:41 a.m., the Town of Poughkeepsie Police Department responded to the Rite Aid Pharmacy, located at 3350 North Road, for a report of a vehicle that had crashed into the building.
Upon arriving at the scene, Town police observed a 2005 Ford F-350 had crashed into a parked box truck and then continued into the West side of the building. A police investigation found that the driver, David A. Bergsma, was operating the vehicle while in an impaired condition, by use of a drug.
Bergsma did not sustain any injuries from the crash. Bergsma was subsequently arrested and charged with Driving While Ability Impaired by Drugs, Aggravated Unlicensed Operation in the first-degree, both Class E Felonies, as well as a violation
of Ignition Interlock Device restriction, a Class A Misdemeanor.
Bergsma was arraigned by Town Justice Stephan Krakower and remanded to the Dutchess County Jail on $20,000 cash or $40,000 bond.
The business was inspected by the Town of Poughkeepsie Building Department and was deemed to be safe; however, the business was closed to the public for the remainder of the day.
The Town of Poughkeepsie Police were assisted by the Fairview Fire District, Dutchess County Sheriff’s Office, and the Town of Poughkeepsie Building Department.
- Hudson Valley Snow Closings & Delays
- Idiot Crashes Car Attempting to 'Drift' on Route 44 in New Paltz
- We Tour 21 Abandoned Businesses on Route 9
- Hudson Valley Waitress Brought to Tears Over Surprise Tip
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America
- Top 6 Hudson Valley Restaurants Featured on Food Network
- Enormous Fish Live in Hidden Cave Under City of Poughkeepsie