Local Vet Who Walked Across USA Planning Even Bigger Challenge
A Poughkeepsie veteran who spent last summer walking across America has his eyes set on an even bigger challenge.
Tom Zurhellen made headlines all over the world after completing his incredible journey from Oregon to Poughkeepsie. The walk was aimed at raising awareness for veteran homelessness and suicide, two problems that the VFW commander says most people don't want to talk about.
During his weekly appearance on The Boris and Robyn Show on 101.5 WPDH, Zurhellen announced that he's already plotting out his next challenge. This summer the Poughkeepsie veteran and Marist professor will be inviting others to join him in his quest to finish 20 marathons in 20 weeks.
Zurhellen will begin his journey in Eugine, Oregon and finish at the Dutchess Classic in September. During those 20 weeks, veterans and supporters from all over the country will be invited to run (or walk briskly) with Tom as he attempts to finish a race a week.
If you're interested in supporting Zurhellen, you can learn more about his next challenge and find out how to get involved by following his updates on Facebook. And, of course, you can tune in every Wednesday morning to hear Tom's weekly Veteran Update on The Boris & Robyn Show.
- Hudson Valley Snow Closings & Delays
- This Restaurant's Tipping Policy Left Me Speechless
- Idiot Crashes Car Attempting to 'Drift' on Route 44 in New Paltz
- We Tour 21 Abandoned Businesses on Route 9
- Hudson Valley Waitress Brought to Tears Over Surprise Tip
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America
- Top 6 Hudson Valley Restaurants Featured on Food Network
- Enormous Fish Live in Hidden Cave Under City of Poughkeepsie