How Safe is New York State?
June is National Safety Month, and it makes you wonder how safe our home state of New York is compared to the rest of the country.
Safety is a basic human need. We require some form of it, such as personal and financial protection, in every part of everyday life. But, we're likely to feel safer in some states than others.
In order to help families find the most secure places to settle down, WalletHub compared the 50 states across 52 key metrics. The data set ranges from assaults per capita to unemployment rate to total loss amounts from climate disasters per capita.
How safe is New York? We're almost smack in the middle, ranked as the 22nd safest state. Here's the breakdown.
Safety in New York:
- 14th – Murders & Non-Negligent Manslaughters per Capita
- 23rd – Assaults per Capita
- 24th – Loss Amounts from Climate Disasters per Capita
- 31st – Job Security
- 23rd – Fatal Occupational Injuries per 100,000 Full-Time Workers
- 4th – Fatalities per 100 Million Vehicle Miles of Travel
- 4th – Law-Enforcement Employees per Capita
- 31st – Bullying Incidence Rate
- 15th – Sex Offenders per Capita
- 15th – Share of Uninsured Population
- Idiot Crashes Car Attempting to 'Drift' on Route 44 in New Paltz
- We Tour 21 Abandoned Businesses on Route 9
- Hudson Valley Waitress Brought to Tears Over Surprise Tip
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America
- Top 6 Hudson Valley Restaurants Featured on Food Network
- Enormous Fish Live in Hidden Cave Under City of Poughkeepsie