Landmark Hudson Valley Movie Theater Goes Up For Sale
A popular Hudson Valley movie theater that has been in the same family's hands for nearly a century is up for sale. The Orpheum Theater located at 156 Main Street in Saugerties has been owned and operated by the Thornton family since 1919. According to a Village Green Realty listing, the nearly 6,500 square foot building is on the market for $795,000.
Built-in 1908, the building was first used for vaudeville shows, roller skating, and basketball. When new management came in eleven years later they switched over to movies and never looked back.
In recent years the theater was converted to a triplex with theater one seating 138, theater two 145 and theater three 138. The property is being sold turn-key as a movie theater but could be converted into a performing arts space, recording studio or school.
What would you do with the Orpheum Theater in Saugerties, keep showing movies or make a change?
- How Did Poughkeepsie Get Its Name?
- Two Hollywood Actors Co-Own Hudson Valley Candy Shop
- Top 10 Celebrities Who Live In The Hudson Valley
- America's Oldest Intersection Is In The Hudson Valley
- The Jerky Boys Hudson Valley Connection
- Hudson Valley Drone Pilot Captures Haunting Footage Of The Old Psyche Center