Hudson Valley Man Jailed For Sex Crimes With Child
In what’s described as “appalling” actions, a Hudson Valley man was sent to jail for committing sex crimes against a minor as well as recording and sharing the incident.
On Wednesday in Southern District of New York Court, 34-year-old John Asmodeo of Carmel was sentenced to 15 years in prison for engaging in, and videotaping, sexual activity with a minor in the fall of 2003.
Asmodeo pleading guilty in October 2017.
“This case underlines the urgent need for law enforcement to continue its efforts to protect children from those who prey on them,” Manhattan U.S. Attorney Geoffrey S. Berman said. “We will continue to use every tool available to law enforcement to prosecute and punish those who sexually exploit children.”
In the fall of 2003, when Asmodeo was 20, he had sexual intercourse with a 12-year-old girl and used a camera to record the sexual abuse, officials say.
Asmodeo copied the video onto a C.D. and gave the file to another person in 2005. In 2016, the other person gave the disk to police.
In 2014, Asmodeo’s Putnam County home came to the attention of Homeland Security Investigations because it appeared that an I.P. address connected to the home was sharing child pornography.
Authorities later found thousands of sexually explicit images of children, authorities say. According to court filings, he also used in a hidden camera in his bathroom to record a 10-year-old girl undressing.
In announcing the prison sentence, Judge Vincent Briccetti called Asmodeo’s actions “appalling” and “extraordinarily harmful to the victim.”
- Police Officer, Fireman Found Dead At Popular Hudson Valley Bar
- Hudson Valley Teacher’s Aide Raped, Sexually Abused Boy
- New MTV 'Jersey Shore'-Style Show Films in Hudson Valley
- Police: Hudson Valley Man Owned, Shared Child Porn
- Robert De Niro, Julia Roberts Spotted In the Hudson Valley
- DA: 4 Die From Opioid Overdoses in Hudson Valley This Weekend
- Hudson Valley Man Accused of Raping 2 Women Sentenced
- Police: Dutchess County Man Sexually Touched Child, More Victims Possible
- Police Investigate Fatal Shooting Near Hudson Valley Park
- Couple Accused of Identity Theft at Galleria Jewelry Store
Here are this week's Top 5 news stories from the Hudson Valley