Sisters Arrested For Illegally Using Food Stamps
A pair of sisters from the local area were arrested following an investigation into food stamp fraud.
According to the Sullivan County Sheriff’s Office, while an inmate at the Bedford Hills State Correctional facility, 29-year-old Rebecca Egan allowed her sister Jesse Egan, 34, to use her food stamp benefit card.
When a person is in jail, they are ineligible to receive benefits and must reapply upon release, police say.
The Sheriff’s Office investigated after receiving an anonymous tip that Jesse Egan was using the card.
Both of the Egan sisters, from Liberty, were charged with the misdemeanors of petit larceny and misuse of a food stamp authorization card.
Both were released on appearance tickets. They are due in court in April.
- Officials: Trump’s Healthcare Plan Will Have ‘Devastating Impact’ On Hudson Valley
- Study: Hudson Valley Home To Most Expensive New York Zip Codes Outside of City
- Police Warn Hudson Valley After Many Recent Car Thefts
- Police: Dutchess County Stole Thousands From Local County
- Man Wanted In Colorado Found In the Hudson Valley
Poughkeepsie Mayor Rob Rolison tells Hudson Valley Post how the city is dealing with the “astronomical” cost of removing snow caused by Blizzard Stella