Ruling Made in Fatal Crash Involving Hudson Valley Police Officer
No charges will be filed against a Hudson Valley police officer who was involved in a fatal crash.
On Tuesday, Orange County District Attorney David M. Hoovler announced his office would not be filing criminal charges regarding an incident where someone was killed in a Town of Crawford police pursuit.
According to the Orange County District Attorney’s office:
- On December 5, 2017, a Crawford police officer observed the driver of a Buick commit a traffic infraction on State Route 17K and tried to pull the Buick over.
- Instead of pulling over, the Buick fled, and the police car gave chase, with its lights and siren on.
- Due to excessive speed, the Buick crossed over into the opposite lane of traffic and struck an oncoming pickup head-on.
- The driver of the Buick was pronounced dead at the scene. The operator of the pickup was airlifted to Westchester Medical Center after complaining of pain in his hip.
A police investigation later revealed that the deceased driver was wanted on felony charges involving criminal contempt and criminal mischief, police say.
“All of us are entitled to be safe on our roadways,” Orange County District Attorney David Hoovler said. “When motorists violate the traffic laws, and, more importantly, when they flee from officers who are doing their duty, they put all of us at risk. This case illustrates just how dangerous fleeing from police officers on the roadways can be, for those who flee, and for those innocent operators who are unfortunate enough to be nearby.”
Any possible administrative action will be taken by the Crawford Police Department, officials say.
- Child Dies From the Flu in Hudson Valley
- Impaired Taconic Driver That Killed 4 Sentenced
- Potentially Dangerous Animal Terrorizes Hudson Valley Town
- Fire Destroys Hudson Valley Bowling Alley
- $4,000 Found and Returned Outside Hudson Valley Restaurant
- Driver Walks Away From Horrific Accident on Palisades Parkway
- The Price is Right is Coming Back to the Hudson Valley
- Hudson Valley Resident Selected in Major League Soccer Draft
Here are this week's Top 5 news stories from the Hudson Valley