Police: Hudson Valley Man Flees After Hitting Woman in Crosswalk
A Hudson Valley man is accused of fleeing the scene after hitting a woman with his car as she walked in a crosswalk.
On Wednesday around 4 p.m., the New Paltz Police Department responded to a 911 call for a reported car vs. pedestrian accident at the intersection of Plattekill Avenue and Main Street in the Village of New Paltz.
Witnesses at the scene told officers that a 21-year-old woman was hit by a car as she was walking in the crosswalk at the intersection. Police were also told the car fled the scene.
The woman was taken Mid-Hudson Regional Hospital with non-life threatening injuries, officials say.
Witnesses provided a description of the vehicle, which was located by an officer abandoned in the parking lot of a nearby apartment complex.
The driver, 18-year-old Abram Almahri of New Paltz, turned himself in a short time later, police say. He was charged with leaving the scene of a personal injury accident along with several other vehicle and traffic offenses.
Almahri was released after posting $2,500 cash bail. He is scheduled to return to court at a later date.
The investigation is continuing and anyone who may have witnessed the accident is asked to call the New Paltz Police Department at 845-255-1323.
- Hudson Valley Man Comments on Own Wanted Photo
- Hudson Valley School District Investigates Shooting Threat
- DA: Hudson Valley Man Left Murder Victim’s Corpse in Planter
- Group Alleges Hudson Valley Officer Used Excessive Force [VIDEO]
- 2 Killed In Roll-Over Crash in Hudson Valley
- Elderly Hudson Valley Couple Killed in ATV Accident
- Police: Large Bear Seen Roaming the Streets of the Hudson Valley
Here are this week's Top 5 news stories from the Hudson Valley