Largest Sauerkraut Producer Says Auf Wiedersehen New York
This week one of the world's largest manufacturers of sauerkraut announced it would be saying 'Auf Wiedersehen' to New York by closing its upstate based plant.
GLK Foods, Great Lake Kraut Co, will be closing its factory located in Shortsville, NY. According to a release, production will continue at the plant through September and shipping will continue through December.
Production will be consolidated to their Wisconsin factory. Not only will this mean less jobs for New York workers, who will be buying the cabbage that NY farmers are producing? According to the US Department of Agriculture, NY cabbage production amounted to $58 million in 2016. That's a lot of hot dogs that are going to be going with out toppings.
What is your favorite use of sauerkraut? Do you only put it on hot dogs? Do you make sauerkraut pie? Serve it as a side to pork?
- Two Hollywood Actors Co-Own Hudson Valley Candy Shop
- Top 10 Hudson Valley Celebrities
- Study Claims New York Women Are the Meanest
- Hudson Valley Town Named One of America’s Coolest Small Towns
- Where Is Oniontown and Why Is It So Dangerous?
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America