Is There Such a Thing as First Date Etiquette? Dating Tips?
Is there such a thing as 'First Date Etiquette?' Maybe you go on dates all the time or maybe it has been awhile, while looking for some insite as to what not to do on a first date, I came across an article on meetmindful.com that had a few suggestions.
Here are a first date tips from that article, plus a few from an inpromptu survey that was taken around the office. Are there any that you suggest that we really do and others that you think we should skip?
- Be on time. Make sure to give yourself plenty of time to get to where you are supposed to be meeting. However, don't show up more than 5 minutes early, because it could be considered a little creepy.
- Have some idea of things to talk about. Sitting in silence can be even more awkward than spilling drinks in peoples laps. Have a few general topics in mind, based on conversations or emails that you might have had leading up to the date. If you are being set up by friends, ask them for a few small pieces of info just to get the conversation started.
- Be willing to talk about the good things, goofy things and 'experiences' that have given you those important life lessons.
- Decide if you are going to talk about politics, religion, favorite sports teams, etc. Some people want know this info up front with any issues that could be deal breakers.
- Make sure to figure out who is paying before the date or at the early part of it. That way you can avoid the uncomfortableness of the staring at the check part of the evening.
- At the end of the date, if you are not interested, don't go out of your way to try to set something up for a second date. If you are interested, say something. If you are not sure how to go about that maybe use the phrase, "When can I see you again, I would like to continue to get to know you?" If that question is met with silence, move on.
All in all, if you are looking for that special someone, keep trying. The more people you meet and get to know, there will be more opportunitites to relax and get your dating skills honed. Best of luck.
- Two Hollywood Actors Co-Own Hudson Valley Candy Shop
- Top 10 Hudson Valley Celebrities
- Study Claims New York Women Are the Meanest
- Hudson Valley Town Named One of America’s Coolest Small Towns
- Where Is Oniontown and Why Is It So Dangerous?
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America