Impaired Dutchess Woman Found Passed Out Behind Wheel at Hudson Valley State Park, Police Say
A Dutchess County woman with a long criminal past is accused of driving under the influence of drugs.
On Wednesday, New York State Police from Hawthorne charged 26-year-old Alexa M. Stefanchik of Poughkeepsie with driving while ability impaired by drugs, a felony.
Troopers were dispatched to the FDR State Park entrance for a report of a driver passed out behind the wheel. EMS was on scene with the driver, identified as Stefanchik, who refused further medical attention, police say.
While interviewing the defendant, troopers allegedly observed signs that Stefanchik was impaired.
Stefanchik was placed in custody and evaluated by a State Police Drug Recognition Expert who confirmed that she was not safely able to operator a motor vehicle due to drug impairment, officials say.
Stefanchik is due to appear in the Town of Yorktown Court on July 11.
The State Police were assisted by the Town of Yorktown Police Department.
- Fireworks Explode In A Car On Thurway, 5 Injured
- Hudson Valley Man Shot Outside Convenience Store
- ‘Top Chef’ Finalist to Host Pop-Up Dinner in The Hudson Valley
- Undercover Operation Leads to Arrests of 7 Accused Orange County Drug Dealers
- Man Injured After Driving Into Dutchess County Home
- Hudson Valley Teen Charged With Leaving Anti-Semitic Graffiti
Check out this weeks top 5 stories, including a critical blood shortage in the state and a manhunt for 2 people wanted for attempted murder