Hudson Valley Hero Dies From 9/11 Illness
A Hudson Valley hero and father of five passed away from a 9/11 illness.
Joseph R. Stach, Jr. of Valley Cottage died on Sunday from 9/11-related pancreatic cancer.
Following the September 11 attacks, Joe spent 72 hours at Ground Zero and worked at the site for weeks, according to his obituary.
Stach was born in Nyack and was a Life Member of Empire Hook & Ladder Co. #1 in Upper Nyack. He began working at the FDNY in 1990. He retired in 2010 as a Lieutenant with Ladder Company 6 after 20 years with the FDNY.
Stach is survived by his wife, five children, parents and sister.
Donations in his memory can be made to the FDNY Family Assistance Unit, 9 MetroTech Center Room 5E-9, Brooklyn, NY 11201.
Our thoughts are with Stach’s family and friends.
Spot a typo? Let us know.
- Man Wanted for Sexually Touching Children in Hudson Valley
- Police: Hudson Valley Man Murdered in Home
- Rare, Potentially Dangerous Animal Spotted in Hudson Valley
- Police Seek Answers After Mysterious Death of Hudson Valley Man
- Popular Brand-New Hudson Valley Restaurant Suddenly Closes
- Hudson Valley Sex Offender Who Raped Teens Moves Near High School
- Insane Photos Show Rollover Tractor-trailer on I-84
- 2 Charged With DWI After One-Car Crash in Dutchess County
- Hudson Valley Woman Wanted Again
Here are this week's Top 5 news stories from the Hudson Valley