Hudson Valley Armed Guard Sentenced For Shooting Woman In Face Drunk
A local armed guard is heading to prison for shooting a female friend in the face while drunk, causing near life-ending injuries.
According to the Ulster County District Attorney’s office, a group of people went to an after-party on Bingham Road in Marlboro following a night of drinking in Newburgh in February.
During the party, Darren Olympia of Newburgh, who was recently certified and licensed for a handgun as an armed guard, pulled out a loaded gun.
The gun discharged and a bullet struck a woman’s forehead, blowing out her facial bones, officials say.
The woman suffered extensive injuries to her forehead and face. She has undergone several surgeries and reconstructive procedures to save her life, officials say.
In July, Olympia pleaded guilty to assault. On Thursday in Ulster County Court, Olympia was sentenced to five years’ probation and six months in jail.
- Police: Hudson Valley Mother Kills Children’s Father
- 8 Accused of Moving to Hudson Valley to Sell Large Amounts of Heroin
- Hudson Valley Police Save Potential Suicidal Woman
- Help Needed to Find 2 Missing Hudson Valley Men
- Police: Hudson Valley Mechanic Steals Check From Customer’s Car
- Beware: Man Trying To Lure Children Into Car in the Hudson Valley
Here are this week's Top 5 news stories from the Hudson Valley