Hudson Terrace Fire Sends Two to the Hospital
On Sunday around 2PM Poughkeepsie firefighters responded to reports of a fire at 21 Stout Court in the Hudson Terrace complex.
Upon arrival, firefighters were informed that there were possibly elderly occupants in the 2nd floor apartment. Assistance from Fairview and Arlington fire departments was requested along with additional ambulances from Mobile Life while firefighters made there way to rescue the occupants.
The elderly male and female were located in the upstairs apartment and carried out to the waiting medics who promptly triaged both and rushed them to the hospital. There condition is unknown at this time.
Firefighters re-entered the smoke-filled building to search for any additional victims. None were located and efforts turned to extinguishing the blaze that appears to have started on the first floor. Within several minutes the primary fire was knocked down. A team of firefighters were sent to the roof to cut ventilation holes (see video). While preparing to do so, they encountered dangerous soft spots on the flat roof where the wood had rotted away leaving just a tar paper covering.
The fire destroyed 2 apartments and the neighboring 2 units sustained substantial smoke and water damage.
The fire appears to have been the result of an improperly discarded cigarette in the 1st floor apartment. The tenant attempted to extinguish the fire himself before being forced out due to the thick smoke.