High-Risk Hudson Valley Sex Offender Arrested, Living Near Popular Spot
A high-risk Hudson Valley sex offender convicted for sexually abusing two children was arrested for not registering his address, which is within walking distance of a local mall.
On Monday, the Village of Liberty Police Department arrested 39-year-old Darrin Ort of Liberty over allegations he failed to comply with the sex offender registration act.
Ort, a registered Level 3 sex offender, was charged with a felony count of failing to register and verify his address with law enforcement.
Under the New York State sex offender registration act, sex offenders are required to personally verify their address with local law enforcement every 90 days. Ort failed to do so, police say.
Level 3 sex offenders are considered to have the highest risk of a repeat offense and are considered the greatest risk to the public.
According to the New York State Sex Offender’s Database, Ort was convicted in 2000 for sexual abusing a child younger than 11 and deviate intercourse with another child younger than 11. His victims were a 9-year-old girl and 9-year-old boy. Ort was sentenced to 13 years in prison.
According to Google Maps, Ort lives within less than a half-mile from the Liberty Mall.
Ort was arraigned in the Town of Liberty Court and remanded to Sullivan County Jail without bail.
- Hudson Valley Man Who Caused Fatal Accident Was High on Heroin Laced With Fentanyl
- Another Animal Tests Positive For Rabies in the Hudson Valley
- Hudson Valley Man Had Sexual Contact With Young Girl He Met on Social Media
- Hudson Valley Woman Drives Car Through Building
- Hudson Valley Poll: More Americans Than Ever Disapprove of President Trump