GoFund Me Started for Beloved Hudson Valley Chef Detained by ICE
A GoFundMe was created to help a beloved chef from the Hudson Valley who was detained by immigration officials.
Early Wednesday morning, the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency (ICE) detained Juan Carlos Alonso Vasquez, a chef at The Anchor in Kingston.
Vasquez who goes by the name Charlie is said to be in the U.S. legally. Friends of his say he's a green card holder, a legal permanent resident and pays taxes, according to comments on Facebook.
"Hands down one of the best human beings I have ever met," The Anchor Owner Brandy Walters wrote on Facebook.
He was detained by ICE over a DWI from 7 years ago, according to Facebook posts.
On Tuesday, a GoFundMe was created to help Vasquez pay for his legal fees and other needs while detained by ICE.
"We believe this to be an wrongful act and are demanding his return," the GoFundMe says. "This fund is to go for his legal fees and needs while being detained."
In one day, over $2,5000 has been raised.
Friends of Vasquez are also hoping that letters of support can be used to help free the Kingston chef.
- 1 Missing While Swimming in Hudson River, 5 Rescued
- Hudson Valley High School Basketball Standout Killed in Crash
- Exotic Tick Found in Hudson Valley for First Time
- Hudson Valley Camp Counselor Charged With Rape
- Hudson Valley Woman, Former Cop Killed 9 Horses
- Beloved Hudson Valley Pizzeria Owner Killed in 684 Crash
- Likely Rabid Fox on the Loose in Hudson Valley, Many Bit
- 3rd Poughkeepsie Gang Member Charged in Teen's Murder
- Teen Killed in Upper Hudson Valley Crash
- 2 Hudson Valley Officers Jailed For Brutal Inmate Beating