5 Injured on Thruway After Fireworks Explode in Car
Five Hudson Valley men were injured after illegal fireworks set an SUV on fire on the New York State Thruway.
On Monday night, the occupants of a Lincoln Navigator began to smell smoke coming from the back of the vehicle while heading south on Interstate 87 in the Town of Tuxedo, near mile post marker 38.0.
The Lincoln Navigator was carrying fireworks in the rear of the vehicle, police say. The fireworks began to ignite and the Lincoln Navigator quickly became fully engulfed in flames.
NEW YORK: Car carrying fireworks explodes on NYS Thruway between exits 15 and 16. pic.twitter.com/RvIKMRzW1r
— Jacob Fried (@YankyFried) July 4, 2017
Two occupants were severely burned and were air lifted to Westchester Medical Center for treatment. Three others suffered relatively minor burns.
The fire, and igniting fireworks, were extinguished by Woodbury Fire Dept.
All five were from Mount Vernon. The investigation is continuing by the New York State Police.
- Hudson Valley Man Shot Outside Convenience Store
- ‘Top Chef’ Finalist to Host Pop-Up Dinner in The Hudson Valley
- Undercover Operation Leads to Arrests of 7 Accused Orange County Drug Dealers
- Man Injured After Driving Into Dutchess County Home
- Hudson Valley Teen Charged With Leaving Anti-Semitic Graffiti
Check out this week’s top 5 stories, including a critical blood shortage in the state and a manhunt for 2 people wanted for attempted murder