Elderly Hudson Valley Woman Killed While Shoveling Outside Home
A Hudson Valley woman was killed during Wednesday’s Nor’easter.
On Wednesday around 5 p.m., the Suffern Police Department responded to 61 Hillside Avenue in the Village of Suffern for a report of a woman struck and injured by a falling tree.
Arriving officers found 88-year-old Barbara Soleski of Suffern underneath a large tree. Neighbors were trying to save her when first responders arrived.
When the tree fell it struck live electrical lines which also came down to the ground within a few feet of the woman and first responders, police say. This made it dangerous and difficult to get to the woman.
After Soleski was removed from the tree, a large branch broke off another tree and nearly hit emergency workers.
Soleski, who lives at the home and was shoveling when she was hit by the tree, was taken to local hospital with serious injuries.
She succumbed to her wounds which included a head injury at the hospital, police say.
Police are continuing their investigation.
- Hudson Valley Could See Snow Thursday, Friday, Next Week
- Child Allegedly Killed by Parents to be Buried in Hudson Valley
- Parts of the Hudson Valley Hit With 26 Inches of Snow
- At Least 1 Hudson Valley Resident Killed in Nor’Easter
- Former Hudson Valley Parents Accused of Killing Child
- Police: Rabid Coyotes Attack Multiple People in the Hudson Valley
Here are this week's Top 5 news stories from the Hudson Valley